Rules of a Muslim Home (#10) - Kindness to One's Neighbour (Part One)
Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had once mentioned: “Jibreel (‘alaihis salaam) has been repeatedly stressing upon me the rights of the neighbour to such an extent that I thought the neighbour would soon be made to inherit in one’s estate.” (Saheeh Bukhaari #6014)
Once the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) enquired from Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam): “What are the rights of the neighbour?” He (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) replied:
1. Give him a loan if he seeks a loan.
2. Assist him when he asks for assistance.
3. Visit him when he is ill.
4. Help him if he is needy.
5. Give him financial assistance if he is poor.
6. Congratulate him on happy occasions.
7. Console him in adversity.
8. Accompany his funeral when he dies.
9. Do not build your house higher than his without his permission lest his ventilation may be obstructed.
10. Do not inconvenience him with the fragrance of your food unless you share some with him.
11. If you buy fruit, send some for him. If you cannot do so, take the fruit into your house concealed so that he cannot see it. Do not allow your children to take it out and eat openly in case his children see it and become grieved. (Fathul Baari vol. 10, pg. 547)
Yeah, I'm still alive
1 week ago