Monday, April 06, 2020

Sayyidah ‘Aa'ishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) – Part One




The Most Beloved of the Most Beloved
Allah Ta‘ala had blessed multiple women with the honour of becoming the Azwaaj Mutahharaat (pure and chaste wives of Rasulullah [sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam]). However, from all the Azwaaj Mutahharaat, perhaps the one who is most well-known is Sayyidah ‘Aaishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha).
Not only was Sayyidah Aaishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) the most beloved of the Azwaaj Mutahharaat to our most beloved Rasul (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), but among all his wives, she was blessed with many special virtues that were unique to her alone.
Sayyidah ‘Aaishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) once mentioned the following to the other Azwaaj Mutahharaat:
“I was favoured over you with ten special blessings – and I do not say this with pride (but rather to express gratitude to Allah Ta‘ala. These ten special blessings are that) I was the most beloved to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) from all his wives and my father was the most beloved to him (from all the Sahaabah [radhiyallahu ‘anhum]).
Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) married me as a virgin, whereas he did not marry any other woman who was a virgin besides me. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) married me at the age of seven, and I went to live with him when I was nine.
(When I was falsely accused of zina,) my exoneration and the declaration of my innocence descended from the sky (as revelation to be recorded in the Qura'an Majeed).
When Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) was in his final illness, he asked his wives permission saying, ‘It is difficult for me to continue moving between your homes (giving each of you your due turn). Hence, allow me to remain with one of you.’ When Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said that, Ummu Salamah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) said, ‘We understand what it is that you wish – you wish to stay at the home of ‘Aaishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha). We have given you permission to do so (as this is what pleases you).’
The final thing to be placed in the blessed mouth of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) in the world was my saliva. A miswaak was brought to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), and he asked me to chew it for him and soften it for him, which I did (and he then used the miswaak, due to which my saliva was in his blessed mouth when he departed from this world).
(Finally,) Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) departed from this world while reclining on me, (with his blessed head) between my lap and my chest, and he was buried in my home.” (Siyaru Aa’laamin Nubalaa vol. 2, pg. 147)
Sayyidah ‘Aaishah (radhiyallahu ‘anha) was blessed with many other special virtues and bounties by Allah Ta‘ala. Nevertheless, from these great virtues, we can understand the high rank and status that Allah Ta‘ala had blessed her with.
Insha-Allah, in the following weeks, we will take glimpses into the blessed life of this outstanding personality so that she may serve as an inspiration to us all.

No comments: