Friday, February 27, 2015

Dolce Bakery, Observatory

Dolce Bakery, Observatory
Isn't it great when you discover that little hole in the wall that turns out to be a hidden diamond. Dolce Bakery turned out to be just that. I'd come across them on the internet while doing my online stalking of new places to try and decided to pop in as I was in the area for a meeting. The crazy traffic snarl on the N1 made me so late for everything that instead of being able to sit down and try the venue properly I was reduced to a rushed takeout partly eaten in the car before my meeting. Do not ask me how I managed to eat pizza while driving...
Dolce does not look like much. In fact, when I stopped in front of it I was wondering if this place was worth the trip. It's located in a kind of industrial part of town, Lower Main Road Obervatory, opposite Woolworths Financial Services. The guy hammering down the paving with a jackhammer next door did not help either. They have 3 or 4 tables outside, just off the road, and a bar counter inside. It's not a fancy kind of place, more like what you'd find at a weekend festival. Casual and functional. So no expectations before I walked in, and then as I stepped through the door the heavens opened and light shone on the bakery cabinet and I heard the angels hummm...
But I was strong. Being pressed for time and knowing I could not buy a dessert takeaway which would melt in the car while I was in my meeting I ordered a Prego Chicken Pizza, a large pizza for R39!! Where do you buy pizza for R39?!? And a homemade ice tea. I had the ice tea while I waited for the pizza, it was excellent, and when the pizza came 10 minutes later I just had to try one piece before rushing off. To my surprise it was a beautiful thin crust base, crispy and light just the way I like it.
I rushed off with great regret but not before confirming with the staff that they are open on a Saturday till 2pm and pretty busy at that. I expect it's from people in the know who are keeping this little secret, well a secret. So the next time I go to the Biscuit Mill which is nearby and I get tired of elbowing the crowd out of the way to buy some food I'll just slip out and get some lunch down the road instead.

Besides, I so have to go back for dessert...

The Details
Halaal Certified

Dolce Bakery
239C Lower Main Road, Observatory, Cape Town, 7925
Tel: +27 21 486 9007
portodolce@webmail.co.za
www.dolcebakery.co.za

Oh, did I mention they have a branch in Cape Town CBD as well?
Shop 19 Picbel Parcade, 58a Strand Street, Cape Town, 8001
Tel: +27 21 427 9005





 

No comments: